Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Off to the races!

The kids and I are back from our week-long trip to Seattle.  Brian was on a business trip, and Biniam stayed home for school, so it was just me and the three little kids.  People always think I'm crazy for doing so many road trips with the kids - especially by myself.  But you have to understand my kids have done road trips since the womb.  They don't know anything different.  They were bred for it.

Speaking of breeding, does it get any better than my sweet little niece?  I don't think so.




So while we were in Seattle we got to celebrate my Dad's 65th birthday.  For his party, my Dad decided he wanted to go to the horse races.  I've always wanted to do that, so I was so excited.  We had a group of people, mostly race-novices, who could be overheard saying things like "I'm voting for number 5" or "that one has a pretty tail" or "I pick that one because I like it's name". 

To start things off we headed down to the stalls (or "kennels" as I kept calling them) to preview the horses for the first race.  You know, to see which ones we got a good feeling about.



Here's number 1.  Nothing too overwhelming about it.




I thought number 2 was pretty, and made a mental note.



Number 4 was tall, and spunky. 



Number 5 was all jittery and fired up.  Definitely ready to run fast.  I ended up putting money down on both 4 and 5 to "place".  Didn't go so well for me.



Before I move on, here are some of the Jockeys.  I'm pretty sure there are separate breeding circles for Jockeys.  I mean, including gear and saddles, these guys weigh around 118 pounds. 



Here is my Dad (with the "rinoculars" as my kids call them) and some of our group cheering on the horses.



Here I am with my sis-in-law.  You wouldn't know it, but I dressed cute that day.  So glad I brought my North Face.



The track.  And look what the reader board says!  Happy birthday, Dad!



Here's my handsome Dad and handsome Uncle.  I have good blood lines (at least for a boy). 



It's a close finish!



Go!  GO!  GO!!



Yes!  A winner!



Another winner!



And another one!



One more winner!



Even the birthday boy won on that one!



And my Aunt - well, she won just about every race by picking the horses for their names.  Sheesh!



And another - oh wait, she didn't win.



What a fun day, and a fun trip to Seattle.  Thanks for getting older, Dad!

5 comments:

naphtali said...

Looks like such a fun time!!! Glad you were able to celebrate with him and even got to enjoy some time at the races!

shell said...

i have never done that! looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

You're welcome, Shana. Thanks for being born!

spoonerbyrd said...

Girl, super CUTE hair at the races.

Brown Birdy said...

Fun fun! #4 sounds like a Shana! ;) Sorry it didnt win for ya though!