Monday, July 17, 2006

Black Eye

One of the memories I have from my childhood, is running around like a wild animal at church on Sundays. There were so many "secret" hallways, doors and staircases at our church that were just begging to be explored. I remember sneaking back into the baptismal area, and climbing into the empty tub. I remember climbing up the stairs to the sound booth balcony, and peering out the tiny window to the pews below. I even remember climbing into the cage-like "cribs" in the nursery that were stacked three-high and getting stuck after pulling the bars down.

So, I tend to be a little relaxed about Emma and her friends running around our church on Sundays, because I remember what it was like. Of course, Emma is only two, so we don't let her out of our sight, but we do let her explore the aisles of chairs, and occasionally climb the steps on the stage. Maybe we should reconsider our leniency though, because lately things have gotten a little rough. For example, two weeks ago, Emma's friend Tristan bumped his head on a wall-mounted fire extinguisher, and ended up getting two staples in his head. And just yesterday, Emma and her friend Keawe ran head-in to each other, resulting in a black eye for Emma.

Here is a picture of Emma's eye. The lighting takes away a little of the bruise.

2 comments:

Brianna Heldt said...

Oh man, Anna has had a black eye before from a run in with a coffee table. She is not the most, how shall I say, physically coordinated child in the world (she gets it from me.)

Anna also loves running around the sanctuary after church, and I remember doing it as a kid too. I totally relate!

Anonymous said...

Awwww.... I remember my son's first (and second... and third) black eye. Poor thing!

She is so cute!