First thing on the agenda was correctly preparing our storm-water-drainage ditch. County code requires that we have a ditch at the front of our property, lined with stones, that leads into the community retention pond (which is in the front corner of our property). At the time we purchased our house, there were no rocks in our "ditch", and the dirt barely sloped down, so we had a lot of work to do.
Our first weekend was spent digging. And digging. It had poured rain the night before, so we were digging in heavy mud. Did you know that mud is really heavy? And sticky. In fact when we would tip our shovel to get the
But look! See how pretty it is now! It's one of those jobs where the hard work paid off and had something to show for it. And even better, the day after we finally finished, we got a heavy rain which proved our ditch works, as the water ran through it and into the pond. Yay!
Another project the last few weekends has been to try and get the weed situation under control. We started by burning the piles of dry brush we had all over the yard. That was pretty fun, and for a bit felt like we were actually ranchers.
We were also going to torch the weeds around the rest of the yard, which were mostly dried from last year. But then the flood rains came, and suddenly everything greened right up.
Green Weeds + Fire Torch = Still Green Weeds.
We are going to have to resort to an application of Round Up (gasp!) on all the weeds before they really get out of hand. I am reluctant to do that, as I want to keep things as organic as possible, but with an acre of thick weeds, it's pretty much the only feasible option.
Our last project that we started yesterday, is digging the hole for our trampoline to go in-ground. It took us all afternoon yesterday to get things measured and staked off so we knew exactly where we wanted to dig. But the timing couldn't come soon enough, as this is what happened to our trampoline on Saturday after some crazy winds.
And finally, moments after we staked off the will-be play area, we found an awesome play set on craigslist. So tonight we will be picking up our new (used) Rainbow play set. And of course we will need to put it back together, and stain it.......the projects never cease!