Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Races

One of the main things that keeps me motivated to stay in shape is competing in races.  I like running races and triathlons.

I've been getting excited for this year's race season.  I know it's a little weird to be so excited for races given the fact that I'm six-months pregnant and all.  But in some ways that's what is making me more excited.  Before I got pregnant I was in the best shape of my life.  So I am excited to have a goal to get me back into shape.  And I am excited to see my body's "memory" come back and see how long it will take to get back to where I was.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not talking all vanity here.  I fully expect that it will take a while for me to "look" like I did before I got pregnant.  I am actually more interested in getting my body's abilities back.  I was really proud of being able to run and swim and bike the way I could, and I can't wait to do it again.

So this year I am focusing on some totally do-able goals that are also going to be really fun.

In June I will be running this 5k.  What could be better than having champagne and chocolate at the end of a race?  It will certainly keep me motivated!  And since I will only be around 8 weeks postpartum I figured a fun, 5k would be the perfect way to get started.

In July I will be doing the Chelanman sprint triathlon again.  I don't plan to break any records or anything since again, I will only be about 12 weeks postpartum.  But I do want to finish strong.

The race I am probably the most excited about is the Dirty Dash in August.  What could be more fun than running a 10k through obstacles, mud, and water balloons?  I honestly can't wait.  Interestingly, this will be the longest distance running race I've ever done.  (Remember I was training for a 1/2 marathon last year but got knocked-up and had to quit training.)  :)

What about you?  What keeps you motivated to stay in shape?

2 comments:

Renee said...

I love races too. I have only done 5ks but my goal is to do a 10 k this spring.

spoonerbyrd said...

Jeans.

Having a healthy heart.

Teaching my children through example.

Jeans.