Friday, June 11, 2010

Tooth Fairy

Emma has lost a tooth each of the past two mornings.  The first night, the Tooth Fairy was prepared, and stealthily swapped out the tooth for a shiny silver dollar.  Emma woke up in the morning and was thrilled. 

Last night, however, the Tooth Fairy wasn't quite as prepared.  So as we tucked Emma in for the night, we discussed how it's possible that the Tooth Fairy likes to mix things up a bit.  And perhaps she would get something different this time, like a paper dollar.  Emma wasn't too thrilled with that idea, so we also suggested that perhaps the Tooth Fairy would leave something like SIX quarters.  That was much more appealing to her, because she's six, and anything with that number associated is a good thing.

The night got late, and as I got ready for bed I hollered down to Brian the Tooth Fairy to not forget. 

Then the Tooth Fairy came to bed and we both fell asleep.  Then a while later I woke up and asked the Tooth Fairy if he remembered to do the swap.  He said no.  And I fell asleep.  And apparently so did he.

At 6:15 this morning the alarm went off.  And I'm not kidding, the radio DJ said something about the "Tooth Fairy".  We both sat up with a start.  I yelled, "we're screwed!"  He ran into the closet, came out with a $2 bill, snuck into her room, managed the swap without waking her, quietly shut her door, breathed a sigh of relief, and went downstairs for his breakfast.

I went back to sleep.

Then I sat with a start.  I remembered that the $2 bill was something we found when digging through my hope chest last week.  And there was scribbling on it that said something like "this was given to Shana when she lost her tooth".

Crap!

I whispered down to the Tooth Fairy, who was enjoying his rice krispies.  We're screwed!  Quick!  Get six quarters!

Sure enough, he was able to do the swap again, and the little princess was none the wiser. 

4 comments:

Laura B. said...

Too funny! We've had some mornings when the tooth fairy apparently was "on vacation" or "it must be a busy night collecting teeth".
Sometimes it's hard to remember!!!

Anonymous said...

You guys make me laugh! I just read this to Grandma Flo & Dave & we all had a good chuckle.
Love mom

Brown Birdy said...

OMG I love you guys so much! This story will live on for years! Oh to be a fly on the wall....

Anonymous said...

Love it....but be aware, at the rate Emma is learning to read, she may know about the "tooth fairy" sooner than later if she learns to open your blog!