Monday, June 07, 2010

Memories...like the corners of my mind

Last night Brian and I were sorting through my hope chest, looking for some specific figurines.  Oh, the things I found in there.  Talk about a trip down memory lane.  Some of the things I hadn't seen or touched in probably 20 years.  It's amazing how fast memories and feelings come rushing back when you hold something in your hands.  Like my "blankie", for example.  I pulled it out, smelled it, and rubbed the cool satin trim on my cheek.  Then like habit I started sliding the satin through my fingers, just like I did as a child.  I remember it clearly.  Okay, maybe I was a little on the "old" side for having a blankie, since I remember it so clearly.

There were old pictures.  Many, many old pictures.  Brian was fascinated with pictures of me as a pre-teen and teenager.  He would study them and say "you were pretty cute" or "I would have dated you" or "man, I did good".  Then I would say "You're creepy.  I was twelve in that picture."

What I was looking for specifically was these little girl figurines, each with a different number on them.  As a girl, my Dad would give me a figurine each year on my birthday, up until I was 16.  The first one I received was on my 6th birthday, so for a few years I received two until I was all caught up. 

Well, I had forgotten about the figurines until recently, when I realized I would really love to pass them down to Emma.  She's six now, so it's kind of fitting that she is the same age as when I received my first one.  Since tomorrow is her Kindergarten "graduation" I thought as a little gift I would give her figurines 1 - 6.  Then, we will continue on with each birthday.



So I started wondering.  Do people still have hope chests?  Or is it a tradition that's gone by the wayside? 

4 comments:

Marie said...

Love this...what a great thing to pass on to Emma, she'll love them! I have a hope chest as well. It holds things I've knit, things I'm saving for my future daughter, things that were special to me, etc...

PureModLife said...

yep we have a hope chest for lindsay, it's not an actual chest yet, but i wud love to get her one to put the things i'm saving for her in. i love the idea & if it's an old idea let's bring it back, it's special & i love it!

Grandpa Jim said...

"Memories...like the corners of MY mind" too:)

Very sweet, Shana.

jmae3 said...

I enjoyed your writing style in this entry...it carried the sentiment well. This is such a great tradition to pass along! While I didn't really have a hope chest of my own? I have my Grandma's that I was given, but never really filled?...I don't think? Hem I'll have to go and look! It's still at my parents for some reason? Thanks for the reminder!

There was an error in this gadget