Thursday, May 27, 2010

Great garage-sale find!




Someone recently asked me what I was looking for at a garage sale.  "I don't know.  I guess I'll know when I see it!"  So two weekends ago I found exactly what I was looking for, and I didn't even know it.  A new kitchen faucet!

When we bought our house five years ago we had plans to immediately replace the kitchen faucet.  We even had the new faucet in the garage.  But after a few weeks and then months went by and we still hadn't installed the new faucet, we decided we could just live with the original one.  So we returned the new faucet and spent the cash on some other project. 


Boring, original faucet.


Five years later, we still live in the same house and still have the plain old faucet.  Recently I had been telling myself that as soon as the rest of our debt is paid off, a new faucet would be towards the top of the list. 


Close-up of sad faucet.

Ever heard of the rubber band trick?  Well we didn't need a rubber band.  Our sprayer had a mind of its own.


Then two Saturday's ago I found myself at a garage sale, looking at a box that contained a faucet and a bunch of loose parts.  The faucet looked nice enough, and supposedly all the parts were there.  But I still wasn't sure it was worth the risk for the $10 asking price.  I was willing to take the risk for $5, and the seller accepted my offer.  Score!

Brian was thrilled and immediately began to install the new faucet.  About half-way through he realized we were missing an important clamp.  And after some research we discovered that the clamp would need to be ordered.  So we found a site with free shipping and spent about $22 for the part we needed. 



New faucet, installed and pretty.



So after it was all said and done, we got a new kitchen faucet, worth around $300 retail, for the bargain price of $27.  Can't beat that!




1 comment:

spoonerbyrd said...

Looks great and was totally an awesome find!