Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Graduate

No, I'm not humming the tune to "Mrs. Robinson" in my head. Last weekend we celebrated Biniam and his accomplishment of completing the 8th grade. When I was in school, graduating 8th grade was kind of a big deal. Yet these days it doesn't seem to be as noticed. Regardless, we thought it would be fitting to celebrate Biniam and all the hard work he's put in.

Last week, before school was officially out, we attended an awards ceremony for the 8th grade. Biniam received the ELL (English Language Learner) award for "Most Improved Student". Then over the weekend we had a few friends over for a BBQ and celebration.

I think sometimes Brian and I forget how far Biniam has come with his education since arriving here a little over a year and a half ago. We tend to notice the holes that are remaining and areas he really needs to work on. Yet, when we stop and think about it, it really is remarkable how much Biniam has learned in a short amount of time. I laugh at some of the 'slang' he's picked up, and certain things he does that remind me of a normal teen. Like when he first got to America he swore up and down he would never dance. Yet now I catch him all the time movin' to his iTunes.

Anyway, Biniam, we are proud of everything you have accomplished, and can't wait to watch as you grow into the man God created you to be.

No comments: