Thursday, April 20, 2006

Girl Time

Today Emma and I had a little mother-daughter "bonding" time. First, we went to lunch and shared a chicken salad (a staple for any weight-conscious gal). Then, we indulged in some retail therapy and bought (me) a new outfit (I had a bit of a crisis today as I realized I will be 28 tomorrow and I had nothing cute to wear).

As we were enjoying the long walk back to our car in the mid-70 degree sunshine, a jewelry boutique caught my eye and I remembered that I have been wanting to get Emma's ears pierced. I decided that since I was in the spending mood, I would call Brian to get his okay, and go for it. Surprisingly, Brian said it was okay, and didn't care that he wouldn't be there to witness this monumental coming-of-age event. Into the store we went, and Emma promptly told the sales girl that she wanted "pierced ears". We picked out some sparkly cubic zirconia studs (no real diamonds yet - although I have to say I have thought about it) and I signed my life away on the release forms.

As the sales gal prepared all her tools, Emma sat in the chair while I prepared her for the quick pain she was about to endure. I couldn't help but promise some ice cream for when we were done (so much for that healthy salad).

As for the piercing, Emma took the first one like a champ. No crying. Maybe just a slight grimace on her face. She made me proud. But Emma got smart, and she realized that we were about to force this pain on her again. She tried to duck away for the second ear, but we were able to encourage her to hold still enough. Once that ear was done, there were still no cries or screams, but I noticed the expression on Emma's face start to break, then tears welling up in her eyes and rolling down her cheeks. Soon Emma was crying, but it was a sad cry that made me want to cry with her. However, thinking like a woman, I suggested Emma look in the mirror to see how pretty she looked. One glance at her new ears was all it took, and my girl's been happy ever since!

And yes, we did enjoy a bowl of ice cream together.
















1 comment:

owlhaven said...

She looks lovely!!!

Mary