Saturday, February 18, 2006

Timmy

Just about anyone we know, knows who "Timmy" is. Afterall, Timmy is practically a member of our family. It all started when Emma was about six months old. Her uncle Anthony came for a visit, and brought her a new bear. One night I put Emma to bed, and I saw this new bear laying close to her crib, so I thought it would be cute to let Emma sleep with the bear. You see, Emma wasn't hooked on pacifiers, and she didn't have a favorite blankie, so I wasn't worried about her forming an attachment with this bear, either. When I went to wake her the next morning, I discovered that the bear was under Emma's arm while she slept, and I thought to myself, "aww, how cute!". So, I decided that it couldn't hurt to let her sleep with this bear every night.


















Fast forward to present time: age 27 months, and Emma is as attached to that bear as ever. Somewhere along the line we named it Timmy, and somewhere else along the line I allowed him out of her crib. He is now her best friend. And he is such a good sport. He regularly plays dress-up with Emma, being forced into sparkly dresses and jewelry. He has his own place at the breakfast table, and even perches himself at the edge of the tub during bathtime. And Emma is a very good "mommy" to him too, always asking "are you hungry, Timmy?" or reaching her arms out and saying "come here" in a sweet voice when she thinks he might be sad, offering him a gentle hug. Timmy even elicits a strange sound out of Emma that is heard no other time than when she is rubbing his tail with either her fingers or her lips. Kind of an "mmmmmm" sound.

I have often wondered with a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach what would happen if we lost Timmy. I could guarantee some sleepless nights, as well as tears shed (not only by Emma). Today we may have guaranteed that never happens. While browsing the toy section at a discount store today, Brian did a double-take at a bear that looked somewhat familiar to him. After studying it a little closer, Brian decided that this bear is just like Timmy, only bigger. Brian excitedly showed me the bear, because we have always been on the lookout for an "emergency substitute". As I held and examined the bear, I agreed that it looked a lot like Timmy, but it was also quite different. It was bigger, for one. Much softer, too. And the paws and ears looked like a light pink color, where I was pretty sure Timmy's were more grey. Regardless, we paid the $4.99 and brought the bear home.

After examining both bears side-by-side, I have determined that this new bear IS the same as Timmy. I just hadn't realized how sad Timmy had become. Look in the picture below to see Timmy on the left, and the "imposter" on the right. If we ever do have an emergency, we will have to do like that minivan commercial and beat on the bear a bit before giving it to Emma.

1 comment:

darci said...

That is so funny! We had to do that with my littlest one's monkey "sam sam". I shelled out $9 bucks for a second one. Just beware..I had it hidden away when the unthinkable happened. She lost "sam sam"..well, I pulled out (the other) "sam sam"..she was thrilled..a few days later, she came upstairs grinning ear to ear with TWO "sam sam's"...oops! She had found the first one, and now has to sleep with both! LOL :)