Saturday, May 07, 2011

Round Three

I am beginning to feel like a broken record. We are back in the hospital. Actually, this is a different hospital. We are at the children's hospital downtown. We are not in tne NICU this time - just the pediatric floor.

On the phone yesterday, with our surgeon's assistant, I mentioned that Braxton hadn't stooled in 24 hours (despite our dilitation and enemas). Within five minutes I had gotten a call back that we needed to be admitted again. The surgeon had already been concerned about the size / condition of the abdomen, and this pushed him over the edge.

Since we've been here, Braxton's abdomen has continued to get larger, and we are still getting minimal or no stool out of him. Braxton is currently off all nutrition besides IV to hydrate him, and is on suction. He is basically sleeping through everything right now.

We have come down to our only option of doing a colostomy. The plan is that this will be temporary, and will allow Braxton to improve enough for his surgery in July (to remove the bad part of his colon). So it looks like we will be on the surgery schedule tomorrow for the colostomy.

It's so hard to have to make these decisions and to see my baby suffer. Braxton continues to take everything in stride, which is nice on me. But sometimes I just wish he would scream in protest. He certainily deserves to.

I'll post more updates as I have them.

7 comments:

Alicia said...

My heart hurts for you and Braxton. You are in my prayers.

Crystal said...

Many prayers for a successful surgery tomorrow. Hope everything goes well. Hope you have a very Happy Mother's Day also. Much love from the Johnson's.

Brianna Heldt said...

Oh Shana I am praying for Braxton and for all of you. Someday this will all be a distant memory to your family and sweet son, but until then, it is so hard. Sending love and hugs!!!

Owlhaven said...

Praying, Shana!!

Konnor said...

I am so sorry to hear about the emotional stress you are going through. My prayers are with you and your family.

Becky said...

My prayers are with you and your family.

Pure Mod Life said...

what a toughy he is. praying for your family. love you.