Thursday, January 17, 2008

One week old

Noah is one week old today, and already I can't believe how fast time is flying by. I was telling Brian last night how grateful I am that Noah was born two weeks early. I feel like I was given two "bonus weeks" to be with my son, since he isn't really supposed to be here for another week.
Things at home are going really well. My Mom took the three older kids to her house the first few days we were home from the hospital, so Brian and I got to enjoy some quiet time at home with just the baby. That was such a special time for us. Even more so, I was feeling amazing so we got to enjoy a couple meals out and even some time with friends.
By about our third day home the lack of sleep was catching up with us, as Noah had his days and nights mixed up. He was only giving us maybe one-hour stretches at night before he would start to fuss and want to eat. Brian and I were both so tired, and let's just say our communication skills weren't at their finest.
Then on Tuesday we really focused on trying to give Noah "wake time" after each feeding during the day, and making sure he ate about every three hours (he could have easily gone longer). That night was much better, and we only had one fussy time where we had to rock him to sleep. Then last night was a dream, literally - Noah ate at 10, 2 and 6, and then woke up for the morning at 9:00. No fussy times in-between, just quietly going back to sleep in his bassinet.
The kids all adore Noah. Biniam can't wait to kiss him when he gets home from school, and enjoys holding him. Emma is almost glued to Noah's side and goes wherever he goes and wants to be involved in every feeding, bath and diaper change. And Isaiah literally comes unglued (with joy) whenever he hears a noise out of Noah and wants to be there to pat his head or give him a kiss.
We braved the mall yesterday with all the kids and although everyone was well-behaved, Brian and I quickly realized how out-numbered we are. We also kind of forgot what it's like when baby gets hungry out in public. There's no reasoning with the baby that we will be home soon, and he needs to just wait. So all six of us made a beeline through the mall, out to the parking lot and into the car where we sat for 30 minutes while baby's little belly got full. The kids are so patient and understanding, it really is a blessing.

Future Best Buds


Jenn said...

congratulations shana and family!! noah is beautiful!

Anne said...

Sounds like things are going great! Thanks for the update, and I'm loving the beautiful photos. Hugs to all!

There was an error in this gadget